The Weekend Special - The Netherlands - William The Silent - Marriage(s)

William I was married four times.

In 1551, he married Anna of Egmond and Buren.


Anna of Egmond - Source picture - Wikipedia

William I gained her titles and also was called:
Lord of Egmond;
Count of Buren.

In 1561, he married Anna of Saxony.


Anna of Saxony - Source picture: Wikipedia

In 1575, he married Charlotte of Bourbon.


Charlotte of Bourbon - Source picture: Wikipedia

In 1583, he married Louise de Coligny.


Source picture: Wikipedia

Louise raised after the death of William I both her son and his six 
daughters from his earlier (3rd) marriage. 

She corresponded with influential people from that time like:

Queen Elizabeth I of England;
Henri IV of France;
Marie de' Medici; 
Philippe de Mornay.

In my next blogpost, I'll tell you more about his role as main leader of the 
Dutch revolt against the
Spanish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is who? de Liedekerke family!

House of Wittelsbach - Between crazyness and excellence

Who was Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan?